A European Union draft negotiating proposal for the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) dated January 23rd has been leaked. It is evident within the leaked text that the EU is seeking more corporate business influence over legislation. The EU is proposing a new institution called the Regulatory Cooperation Body that would limit policy from public scrutiny. This just goes to show how so called “free trade” agreements only worsen our government. This is just one reason out of many we cannot support TTIP.
Below are 7 reasons why we must fight against TTIP:
- Its investment chapter would allow investors to sue if government actions, often taken for the public good, affect business prospects.
- There is a specific list of what violates the standard of fair and equitable treatment for foreign investors.
- Leaked texts have revealed that the TTIP threatens climate policies, food labels, chemical safeguards, “buy local” preferences, and data privacy.
- TTIP would only empower corporations with a new way to attack our laws and get a hand into our tax dollars.
- TTIP would remove the FDA’s ability to recall contaminated food.
- The EU would like the U.S. to loosen strict meat restrictions in order for European meat to enter the U.S.
- If the TTIP passes, the government could no longer favor domestic companies for government contracts.